Stein & Dine Sour Dough Bread
This is the recipe that was demonstrated at the Stein & Dine 2017.
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp tsp salt
- ¼ tsp instant or rapid-rise yeast
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp water at room temperature
- 6 tbsp lager beer or non-alcoholic beer
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Whisk flour, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl. Add water, lager, vinegar and honey. Using a rubber spatula, fold mixture, scraping up dry flour from bottom of bowl until rough ball forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Line a sheet of parchment paper in your Dutch oven.
- In your bowl break dough down with two rubber spatulas. The dough will be very sticky. Form dough into a ball and transfer to the parchment paper in your Dutch oven.
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Lightly flour top of the dough to prevent sticking. Cover pot and place in oven. Bake bread for 50 minutes in a preheated oven at 425 degrees.
- Remove bread from the oven. The bread will be a rich brown colour. Carefully remove bread from pot, tap the bottom of the loaf. You should hear a hollow sound. This means your bread in cooked. If you don’t hear the hollow sound, put your loaf back in the Dutch oven and cook for another 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely for about 2 hours.