Roasted Tomato and Double Smoked Bacon Rice Dish
- 1 pint (500 mL) grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 small onions finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ (125 mL) diced double-smoked bacon
- 1½ cup (375 mL) U.S. brown rice
- 3 cup (750 mL) vegetable Stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place tomatoes and olive oil in an ovenproof pan, sprinkle with salt and roast 1 -1/2 hours. (This can be made a day in advance).
- In a small stockpot, over medium-high heat, sauté onions, garlic and bacon for 5-7 minutes until onions begin to get golden brown. Add rice and roasted tomatoes, sauté for 2 minutes.
- ChefD’s Tip: Add some cooked shrimp, chicken or diced pork tenderloin to take make it even better!