- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 8 pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
1. Stir together vanilla and espresso powder in bowl; set aside. Whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt together in large saucepan. Whisk in yolks and cream until fully incorporated, making sure to scrape corners of saucepan. Whisk in milk until incorporated.
2. Place saucepan over medium heat; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbling over entire surface, 5 to 8 minutes. Cook 30 seconds longer, remove from heat, add butter and chocolate, and whisk until melted and fully incorporated. Whisk in vanilla mixture.
3. Pour pudding through fine-mesh strainer into bowl. Press lightly greased parchment paper against surface of pudding, and place in refrigerator to cool, at least 4 hours. Whisk pudding briefly and serve.