Lemon Barley “Risotto” with Bacon & Spinach
6 slices bacon
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup chopped shallots or onions
1 1/3 cups quick-cooking barley
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 ½ cups low-salt chicken broth
¼ lb. (4 cups loosely packed) baby spinach, washed and spun dry
1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
3 tsp. finely grated lemon
- Crumble into small pieces.
- Heat in pan to medium high.
- Add the shallots or onions to a skillet on med-high and cook until they start to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add the barley and cook until well coated with pan drippings, about 30 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice and cook, stirring for 15 seconds.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender, 12 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, raise the heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute.
- Stir in the bacon, parmesan cheese, and lemon zest and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add Chicken or Shrimp for something a little different